The Behavioral Health/Primary Care Integrated Associate will work closely with the psychopharmacology providers, primary care providers, therapists, nurses, clinical assistants, and other administrative staff to support efficient integrated operational work flows. The Integrated Associate is responsible for scheduling internal and external referral appointments, acquiring referral authorization, and posting daily encounters. With respect to referrals, the Integrated Associate will complete and document work accurately and in a timely manner. The IA is expected to recognize barriers to specialty care, informing the appropriate supervisor and provider immediately when such circumstances occur. The IA will assist the psychopharmacology providers with processing refills, patient and pharmacy communications, and prior authorizations. The IA will process and route incoming and outgoing correspondence and telephone calls for psychopharmacology and primary care providers and communicate with patients when needed.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for coordinating and streamlining the Psychopharmacology providers’ daily activities, the schedule and functions of the busy Behavioral Health practice.
- Schedule/input of patient appointments, based on established guidelines, either by schedule or data input of the appointments scheduled directly with clinician.
- Notify the Access Manager of any new patient scheduled with BH provider.
- Answer phones, directing psychopharmacology phone calls, take accurate complete messages, particularly related to psychopharmacology issues and deliver promptly.
- Communicate and work with patients, providers and pharmacies to ensure medication refills are handled in a timely manner. Access EHR to utilize In-basket function in EHR to notify providers of refill requests.
- Any patient issues received via telephone, voicemail, letters, or walk-ins will be communicated to providers and/or nurses by using the EMR LC Communication template, Telephone template, or in-basket messaging feature.
- Utilizes EPM, EHR and NSMC (Salem) system to access/input information
- Consistently check voice mail, faxes, or other messages and forward to the appropriate staff or provider.
- Back up interpreter for providers as needed
- Send completed release of information requests to our medical records department or to outside clinicians.
- Continually monitor psychopharmacology appointment schedule, cancel and reschedule appointments appropriately. In case of no show, contact patient, reschedule, and ensure that provider has managed patient’s prescriptions. Patient is contacted in timely manner on status of prescriptions.
- Check in patients for visits and notify clinicians of a patient’s arrival as a backup receptionist as needed.
- Refer patient to Urgent Care provider/nurse if no provider is available at site and/or follow the Code Blue/Green protocol
- Maintain information regarding the room usage, clinician schedules and vacations.
- Be aware of on-call schedule for the department and accessing the clinician on-call as needed.
- Assist psychopharmacology providers with promoting clinic services and managing schedule for psychopharmacology meetings, intern trainings.
- Assist psychopharmacology provider to print out, give, or mail appropriate EHR documents, including the visit summary, or medication reconciliation to patient.
- Ensures proper use of all office equipment (fax, copier, PC, e-mail, practice management software, printers, phones, voicemail, etc.) in accordance with office policy. Maintains proper supplies for its use. Immediately reports any malfunction to Supervisor and/or Director of Operations.
- Other duties deemed necessary or appropriate by Supervisor in order to ensure efficient flow of patients through the health center.
- Attends meetings and seminars to keep abreast of changing needs within the industry and department
- Schedules referral appointments for the patients at the referral specialties/facilities. Whenever possible, appointments are made with patient present.
- Provides patient referral information to the referred facility in accordance with the patient’s insurance plan.
- Serves as a Liaison between LCHC, referral facility/specialty and the patient. Consults with other clinical staff as needed.
- Gives complete, accurate, and adequate information to the referred facility and to the patients, including written and oral.
- Maintains a tracking system of all external and internal referrals.
- Follow up with specialist/diagnostic services to confirm patient kept appointment and record in medical record.
- Demonstrates knowledge of preps required for diagnostic testin
- Is aware of hospital and specialty office policies and utilizes current list of approved specialists to use if PCP doesn’t specify.
- Is knowledgeable of where specialized tests are provided and if not certain, seeks correct information in a timely manner.
- Completes necessary forms, calls and authorization requirements associated with both public and private insurance carriers
- Gathers all required forms, office visit data and reports necessary for the referral to be processed.
- Documents referral information in the EHR identifying specialist name, NPI, location, telephone, appointment date/time, and authorization (if applicable).
- Contacts referral site and makes an appointment whenever possible, completing and faxing necessary information to site, documenting appointment date in the EHR.
- Sends letter to patient with date and instructions needed for the appointment and directions as to what to do if appointment cannot be kept.
- Accepts, opens, documents and appropriately manages mail related to referral appointments kept.
Quality Assurance / Improvement
- Participate in the betterment of the health center through studies and reviews as necessary.
- Goal setting- continually assesses personal, team and organizational goals.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude towards co-workers and other health center departments.
- Will possess a high school diploma or equivalent and have strong organizational skills with demonstrated proficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Office).
- Previous experience working in a medical /mental health department with demonstrated attention to detail is required.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) professional demeanor, good problem solving skills, organized and detail-oriented.
- Must be detail oriented, self motivated and assertive.
- Proven experience working with a culturally diverse population.
- Ability to work under pressure, with potentially difficult people, maintaining strict confidentiality.
- This fast paced position requires a high level of independence, attention to detail and flexibility.
- Understanding of Medicare, Medicaid and managed health care plans are necessary qualifications for this position.
- English / Spanish bilingual ability is preferred.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID #20-036 (PT 35 hrs);