The Director of Nursing supervises the day-to-day coordination of patient care services, including nursing and clinical assisting personnel. He/she provides leadership and direction to health center staff in assuring that all patient care is delivered in a timely, respectful, clinically sound and professional manner. In collaboration with the Chief of Clinical Operations and the Chief Medical Officer, the Director of Nursing, works with health center providers and staff in the establishment of service standards, the development of organizational plans to carry out activities within funding limitations, and provides leadership for ongoing quality improvement of services provided. He/she provides leadership and coaching to the team nurse managers, assuring awareness and consistent implementation of LCHC policies and protocols and understanding of the LCHC – SEIU 1199 Contract. The Director of Nursing responds to patient complaints and clinical incidents with a patient centered, risk management focus. The Director of Nursing reports to the Chief of Clinical Operations and is a member of the Senior Management Team.
Participate in LCHC community outreach efforts, as appropriate and as assigned. This may include serving as a health consultant for the Lynn Public Schools, local day care centers, after school program, day camps or other community related organizations; providing such services as programmatic consultation, preparation/review of health related policies and documentation or participating in health screenings, health education programs or counseling at health fairs and other similar community events.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees and students to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates as a member of the senior management team in ongoing strategic and operational planning activities of the LCHC.
- Contributes to the development, monitoring and necessary revisions of the annual budget for the primary care /integrated clinical teams, focusing on the utilization of nursing and clinical assistant staff, medical equipment and supplies.
- Under the direction of the Chief Nursing Officer, provides leadership for the implementation of the health center’s ongoing QI activities. Participates in the development and implementation of QI standards promoting the delivery of quality patient care and improved performance, utilizing systems to measure, assess and improve performance on an ongoing basis. Guides staff to ensure a functioning compliance program for JCAHO, PCMH, NCQA, DPH and other state and federal regulatory bodies and funding sources.
- Supports, coaches and enables Nurse Case Managers (primary care team leaders) in effectively managing clinical operations and patient care in each of the primary care teams. Coordinating with the Chief Nursing Officer, oversees the supervision, utilization and scheduling of all nursing and ancillary staff to support the work of the primary care teams. Reviews assignments of duties based on health center needs, available staff and patient needs and assures the equitable deployment of staff responding to the needs of the health center as a whole. Coordinates with the Chief Nursing Officer to resolve operating problems and conflicts as required.
- In collaboration with the CMO, CBH, CNO and Director of Operations seek to develop systems, which optimize clinic flow, minimize patient waiting times and improve customer and staff satisfaction. Establishes, maintains and evaluates systems for the ordering of supplies and equipment necessary for patient care.
- In collaboration with the Chief Nursing Officer, COO and the Primary Care Team Leadership provides for recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and placement of all nursing staff. Reviews the selection, salary, evaluation, and discipline recommendations for other staff on the primary care teams. Recommends promotions, transfers, pay increases and other HR actions, including discipline for designated nursing/support staff.
- Coordinates the Employee Health Program in collaboration with the Occupational Health officer and the HR Director.
- Assists the Chief Nursing Officer in providing direction to the Staff Developer for the timely filling of CA vacancies and orientation of newly hired Clinical Assistants.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Management team, Ops, PCMH, Integration, Safety, Suboxone, TB, PICSR-T and ID committees. Participates in the DM and JCAHO Task Forces. Provides Leadership to the Nursing Committee. Attends the Managers, NSMC lab, X-Ray and Mammography meetings. Serves as a clinical leader in emergency planning activities, collaborating with the Chief Nursing Officer and the Operations Director.
- Supports the health center wide activities to promote cultural sensitivity and customer satisfaction.
- Provider adheres to all LCHC Policies and Procedures.
- Manage and lead all nursing department personnel operations
- Develop short and long-term goals for the Department of Nursing
- Establish new policies and update existing policies to improve the standards of care for patients
- Respond to any nursing and medical assistant related issues in a timely manner
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training and ACES Training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural bias or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration or a relevant field required
- Master’s degree in Nursing, Healthcare Administration or a relevant field preferred
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a similar role required
- Knowledge of legal policies and nursing regulations in Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Aptitude for problem solving
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- The essential duties of this position present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids and blood borne pathogens. Annual BBP training is required. Up to date immunizations and annual TB testing is required. Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center. A Declination form must be signed if the Hepatitis B or other recommended vaccines are declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID: 19-230